autorization not respond on netwinder office server 2100

Georgescu Gabriel guardygga at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 06:21:33 EST 2006

Today got the same problem accesing FTP and mail. I don't know what to do and what the problem is. When i write on the console netstat -n i have TCP 21 port conection established. I think that a full reinstalation of software should resolve the problem but I wrilly don't know how to do that, and I think that it is very difficult.

  gabriel.

Ralph Siemsen <ralphs at netwinder.org> wrote:
  Georgescu Gabriel wrote:
> With netstat -n is working. I tried to access the FTP server only with
> the ip address without domain : got the same problem. I also tried to
> access the FTP from local ip address of the server 192.168.0.1 and it's
> working. I verified once again the settings of interfaces with ifconfig,
> everything is fine. Finally I used nwconfig ( without any change ), and
> saved the settings. After a reboot seems that everything is working
> fine... ?!. I really don't understand where was the problem.

Perhaps there was a typo in one of your config files (manually edited?)
which was now corrected by running nwconfig? Or the interface was
disabled manually for some reason.

> I also have a question : how do I make the server not to give the
> posibility of users to get up in trees from their accounts, because if I
> access the FTP with wsftp for example I can see the other users folders,
> of course without permissions of modify.

This is called "chrooting" the user. It is done by changing the home
directory for users as listed in the /etc/passwd file. For example if
you have:

ralphs:x:500:500:Ralph Siemsen:/home/ralphs:/bin/bash

To make so I cannot go outside of my home directory, we introduce an
extra /./ into the home directory location, like so:

ralphs:x:500:500:Ralph Siemsen:/home/ralphs/./:/bin/bash

The /./ can appear anywhere in the path, not just the end, and will
limit the user to being in that directory and below.

I can't remember if there were changes required in the wu-ftpd config
file as well. It may be necessary to put users into "guest" group for
th above to work. Consult the man pages for wuftpd and its config file.

-R