Web site, list archives

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Mar 8 17:22:48 EST 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Ralph Siemsen wrote:

> Thanks to some URL-rewriting, most of the links on www.netwinder.org
> are now working correctly.  This include user directories (eg
> /~ralphs/)
> as well as links to files, such as on the YUM/auto-update webpage.
> Some breakage still exists when links from the FTP area refer back to
> the website, but its a fairly minor number I believe.
>
> I have also restored the archives of mailing lists from 2000-2003, I
> seem not to have 2004 for some reason.  Find them here:

2003-10-22, to be exact. Coinciding with a major upgrade to the site.
Among the links pointing to posts still missing is the detailed
description of Mark Lord's NW9 live image from 12/2003.

> http://www.netwinder.org/pipermail-netwinder/announce/
> http://www.netwinder.org/pipermail-netwinder/devel/
> http://www.netwinder.org/pipermail-netwinder/general/
> http://www.netwinder.org/pipermail-netwinder/support/
>
> Note: I have (temporarily) used "pipermail-netwinder" as the URL,
> because using plain "pipermail" conflicts with OSU's mailman
> installation.  This will be remedied eventually, at that time, links
> to individual messages on the website will function correctly.
>
> -R
>
> PS. does anyone know a nice tool that takes an MBOX and dynamically
> extracts messages, headers, summaries, suitable for CGI use?

Probably not suitable for your purposes, but gmane has an option to do
this upon registering a mailing list. I do not know what software they
use to accomplish it, but I'm sure they say somewhere.

Mailing list histories on the web are now divided into several eras:
1) The era archived on copilotconsulting.com
2) The era archived on the FTP mirrors
3) The era you have just restored
4) The archive of the current list
There are gaps both before and after each of the first three.