Using FTP rescue

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Wed Mar 8 16:22:43 EST 2006

Paul Thompson wrote:
> FTPrescue will not download it it just reports file error or  somesuch
> error. The problem is not the way I am using ftprescue as I have already
> used to download and install old images. I assume that ftprescue was
> written before .bz2 was thought of.

Yes that is most certainly it.  The simplest solution is to convert it
from bz2 to gz.  If you have another linux machine, just get the file
there and do:

	bunzip2 base-nw9.tar.bz2
		(this will drop the bz2 suffix)
	gzip base-nw9.tar
		(this will produce .gz extension)

Then proceed as before.  If you have problems doing this, I can probably
arrange to get a .gz version on the ftp site; disk space is a lot
cheaper these days :)

I'll also put this on the list of things to fix in future rescue.tar.gz

-R