libertas private ioctl handlers

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Jul 7 05:23:53 EDT 2006

On Friday 07 July 2006 03:46, Michail Bletsas wrote:

> The 802.11s mesh network code is going to be running completely on the
> firmware so the only pieces exposed to the host CPU are going to be the
> various controls and diagnostic APIs.
> For the moment mesh network specific controls are implemented via iwpriv
> commands.
> In general what should be going to wlanconfig and what to iwpriv?

I just found the archived discussion from
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/libertas-dev/2006-June/000020.html

Following the reasoning there, I'd suggest we try to get rid of wlanconfig
completely eventually, so the answer is that everything we need should
go into iwpriv. Configuration file handling hopefully can be done with
simple scripts that in turn call iwpriv.

Now still the number of iwpriv commands (I didn't know how iwpriv works
until I looked that up now) is very large, at some point we should
probably audit them to see which ones are actually needed there.

	Arnd <><