Requests and questions on Libertas driver

Ronak Chokshi rchokshi at marvell.com
Thu Jun 8 15:55:27 EDT 2006

Hi Marcelo,
Here are some responses with "Ronak >>". Sorry for the delay. Hopefully
this email will go through fine on this list.

1) At the very moment we don't have a way to test the driver
on the OLPC boards due to lack of antenna (should be fixed soon), more
details available at
http://wiki.laptop.org/index.php/Notes_on_using_the_OLPC_developer_board

That said, I would like to ask about the availability of a person from
Marvell with the necessary environment to perform testing while we
progress on cleaning up the driver.

Ronak >> Yes, this is already planned. We have talked with Michail and
they are already shipping us the OLPC laptops and we should be able to
test our software on that.

2) I will merge the changes from version 5.110.7 into our modified
5.110.5 GIT SCM tree (will post a patch here soon for review, first).

Can I request the Marvell developers to _not_ release any further
versions, or, if you do, make sure that you merge such changes first
into the GIT tree? Its clearly unproductive for us to keep track of your
work.

Ronak >> Yes, agreed. That is inline with our plans.

3) Technical question: Is there any reason for implementing your own
ioctl configuration program (wlanconfig.c) instead of using iwpriv to
handle private ioctl's? Seems you went halfway into that direction, but
for some reason implemented your own ioctl interface directly.

/*
 * iwpriv settable callbacks
 */

static const iw_handler wlan_private_handler[] = {
        NULL,                   /* SIOCIWFIRSTPRIV */
};

Just need to fill that table with the appropriate callbacks and should
be
all set to kill wlanconfig.c in favour of iwpriv.

Ronak >> wlanconfig was designed for the following, since we didn't want
to modify iwpriv source code.

	Syntax check for string parameter
	Read configuration from external file
	Construct WLAN command to be passed to the firmware for further
MAC processing.

If there is a smooth way to do these things using iwpriv, then there is
no problem in killing wlanconfig.

Thanks
Ronak