How to determine if WEP association was successful (using CLI)?

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Mar 31 03:16:31 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:49:19AM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to write a web gui for a little router and trying to
> understand how to control wpa_supplicant correctly.  At the moment I'm
> using "wpa_cli select_network X" to choose a network, but I don't see
> any interesting messages, nor any different output from status when the
> WEP connection information is incorrect?
>
> It seems like everyone else has moved to using dbus for this stuff -
> however, can anyone offer some tips on how to determine whether WEP
> settings are correctly entered for a given network or not?  Should there
> be status messages / events / etc?

WEP does not really have any convenient way of indicating that the
connection failed due to an incorrect key.

> (On a similar note, any tips on determining success with WPA networks?
> Just monitor for an association showing in the status?)

Same for WPA-Personal.. You can try to guess that it was incorrect key
if the AP does not continue the exchange beyond certain point, but there
is no explicit notification of that to the station.

> Is this all vastly easier under dbus?

No, the interface itself does not matter when the information is not
available in the first place.