wpa_supplicant troubles with connection following authentication (cannot get IP)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Oct 14 20:40:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:01:38PM -0500, Joe Love wrote:

> The one comparison between the two connections that has confused me the
> most is the output from ethereal.  On both freebsd & windows, I see the
> same EAP, TLS & EAPOL protocol packets, but once the EAP succeeds, and
> keys are exchanged, the output under windows looks like normal traffic,
> including one Ethernet II packet, followed by a DHCP request,
> acknowledgement, and arp traffic (and some other stuff).  Under FreeBSD,
> however, I see the keys exchanged, and then a bunch of packets of
> protocol type "LLC", and the only packets that aren't LLC are ones that
> come from my machine.  I see no typical IP traffic from any other hosts.

This sounds very much like the driver you are using would not be
decrypting frames correctly. Which driver and wlan hardware model are
you using? Is this with wpa_supplicant from the FreeBSD 6.0 snapshot/RC
or with another version (e.g., tarball downloaded from
hostap.epitest.fi)?

> I can provide any useful information, including packet dumps, but at
> this point, I'm really not quite sure what direction to go.

You could send a packet dump showing the end of EAP authentication and
following corrupted frames. I'm not very familiar with FreeBSD drivers,
so I may not be able to help with this, though. If you do not get
useful replies from other people on this issue, I would recommend trying
to find a more FreeBSD specific mailing list for getting more details on
what could be causing such behavior with dynamic WEP keying.