Management Frames

Matthew T. Brewer mbrewer
Fri Oct 7 12:46:16 PDT 2005

Hi, I'm doing some development on the hostap driver, and I'm little
confused as to how the management frame parsing code works. I'm using the
1.4.9 fw on an intersil prism2.5 mini-pci card (shiped in the IBM T30),
and the hostap driver is basically stable.

Anyway, there is a lot of code in hostap_80211_rx.c dealing with parsing
management frames. Doing some printk tests it appears that the driver
never recieves a management frame at all, I.E. none of this code
ever actually runs. Is there a bit I need to flip somewhere that will
cause the card to start sending management frames to the software?
Or, is it not possible to get this firmware version to send management
frames to the software? I assume all of that code exists for a reason.
I'm primarilly interested in beacon/probe response frames, but no
management frames at all seem to be getting through.

Specifically the code I'm curious about is in the function
"void hostap_80211_rx(struct net_device *dev, struct sk_buff *skb,
                      struct hostap_80211_rx_status *rx_stats)"
in hostap_80211_rx.c

And it's this chunk (the printk never occurs):
         if (type != WLAN_FC_TYPE_DATA) {
                printk("%s: hostap_80211_rx, non-data frame\n", dev->name);
 		[bunch of stuff to deal with management and auth frames]
 	}

Any info would be appreciated, thanks for the help.