Boot from SD if SD-Card is present - Beaglebone Black

Ahmad Fatoum a.fatoum at pengutronix.de
Fri May 6 05:20:04 PDT 2022

Hello Konstantin,

On 05.05.22 11:38, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 10:25:07AM +0200, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>
>> Several partitioning tools set this automatically, but not all it seems.
>
> I got it. The partitions are created via sfdisk. No PARTUUID.
>
> If I change the disk identifier with fdisk afterwards, the partitions
> magically also get PARTUUIDs. This can be scripted (by me):
> Something like
> fdisk /dev/mmcblk1
> 0xaffedead
>

> Problem solved, with this the bootloader spec is working and I will
> implement that!

Great that you got it working. I'd still suggest that CONFIG_MMCBLKDEV_ROOTARG=y
be used for new projects with new kernels an with the same aliases hardcoded in
barebox and Linux. PARTUUID might be the best thing you can on x86 without
an initramfs, but we have device tree, so why not make use of that to
be absolutely sure bootloader and Linux address the same partition.

Cheers,
Ahmad