Conflict between Versatile Express DT conversion and local timer updates

Marc Zyngier marc.zyngier at arm.com
Tue Mar 13 09:58:58 EDT 2012

On 13/03/12 11:55, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2012, Marc Zyngier wrote:

>>> With a lot of these core ARM changes, there's a very fine line between
>>> whether they are core ARM changes or whether they're platform level
>>> changes (many core ARM changes will impact lots of platforms.)  I'm just
>>> wondering if there's any point to taking these changes through my tree.
>>> It seems utterly pointless if they're going to keep conflicting with
>>> platform stuff.
>>
>> Fair enough.
>>
>> Olof, Arnd: which is the most base for you to take this series?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question. The conflicts that Russell
> mentioned are with the ux500/timer (in next/soc) and with the
> vexpress/dt (in next/dt) branches. There are multiple ways out of
> here:
>
> a) take your series first, but merge it into the next/dt and next/soc
>    branches, resolving the conflicts in the process. This would be
>    fairly easy to do if you can provide the merge resolution as
>    a git pull and let Russell still take your series as is.
>
> b) rebase your series on top of vexpress/dt, merge it into the next/soc
>    branch.
>
> c) rebase your series on top of ux500/timer, merge it into the next/dt
>    branch.
>
> d) create a new next/timer branch in arm-soc that has Pawel's
>    98ed4ceb "ARM: vexpress: Get rid of MMIO_P2V" (the first patch from
>    vexpress/dt, your patches and the ux500/timer series. Also put
>    98ed4ceb into the next/cleanup branch.
>
> Any of those will work for us, my preference would be on #4. I have
> created the next/timer branch in the arm-soc tree, so you can use
> that and either rebase your patches on top or merge your tree into
> it and fix up the merge conflicts.

Thanks for doing that Arnd.

I've thus created a new branch:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git
local_timers-for-arm-soc

which contains the arm-soc next/timers branch as well as my local timers
series. I'd greatly appreciate if you could pull it for 3.4.

Thanks again,

	M.