Conflict between Versatile Express DT conversion and local timer updates

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Mar 13 07:55:16 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 13 March 2012, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 13/03/12 10:15, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> >> I'm happy to rebase my patches on anything that will make the merge
> >> easier (IOW conflict-less).
> >>
> >> Russell, would you prefer this series to go via armsoc? This seems the
> >> cleanest solution for the time being.
> >
> > With a lot of these core ARM changes, there's a very fine line between
> > whether they are core ARM changes or whether they're platform level
> > changes (many core ARM changes will impact lots of platforms.)  I'm just
> > wondering if there's any point to taking these changes through my tree.
> > It seems utterly pointless if they're going to keep conflicting with
> > platform stuff.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Olof, Arnd: which is the most base for you to take this series?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The conflicts that Russell
mentioned are with the ux500/timer (in next/soc) and with the
vexpress/dt (in next/dt) branches. There are multiple ways out of
here:

a) take your series first, but merge it into the next/dt and next/soc
   branches, resolving the conflicts in the process. This would be
   fairly easy to do if you can provide the merge resolution as
   a git pull and let Russell still take your series as is.

b) rebase your series on top of vexpress/dt, merge it into the next/soc
   branch.

c) rebase your series on top of ux500/timer, merge it into the next/dt
   branch.

d) create a new next/timer branch in arm-soc that has Pawel's
   98ed4ceb "ARM: vexpress: Get rid of MMIO_P2V" (the first patch from
   vexpress/dt, your patches and the ux500/timer series. Also put
   98ed4ceb into the next/cleanup branch.

Any of those will work for us, my preference would be on #4. I have
created the next/timer branch in the arm-soc tree, so you can use
that and either rebase your patches on top or merge your tree into
it and fix up the merge conflicts.

	Arnd