[LEDE-DEV] LEDE Intel Galileo Gen 2 port

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 02:19:43 PST 2018

On 01/01/2018 10:33 AM, p.wassi at gmx.at wrote:
> Hi perillamint,
>
> thanks for your effort on getting LEDE run on Galileo.
>
>> Recently I got few Galileo Gen 2 boards from Seeed studio clearance. I
>> tried to boot OpenWRT on them and successfully booted it with some hacks.
>> (...)
>> Intel discontinues Galileo and other boards. No one will be able to get
>> fresh new Galileo boards from Intel.
> Galileo itself may be discontinued, but there are other devices based on
> Galileo that are not. Here, I'm having a Siemens IOT2040 [1] which is an
> "Industrial IoT Gateway". That thing is based on Galileo gen2 and distributors
> started shipping a few months ago - so *not* outdated.
>
> The device comes with Yocto Linux, but I'd be much happier seeing it running
> LEDE/OpenWrt :-) If you have patches - even in a not-so-clean state - I'd try
> them on the IOT2040 here.
> Recently, I've checked [2] and made a diff to OpenWrt but have seen, that the
> built code is based upon linux 3.18, so the kernel there's quite old. Since
> then I have put that project aside. (So many other things to do...)
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you,
> Best regards,
> P. Wassi
>
> [1]:
> https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/iot-development-kits/1244038/
>
> [2]:
> https://github.com/ECG-XMU/OpenWRT-Galileo-gen2

Also Supermicro has a product using Intel Quark SoC like the Galileo
[1], these things can be found at 250-400$ on ebay, the naked board [2]
can be found on ebay for 100-200$.

It has 512MB of ECC ram, two 100mbit ports, 2 minipcie, a zigbee module
slot, a couple USB and a SD card slot, rs 232 and 485 serial ports, so
it's quite interesting imho.

Does not seem to be discontinued on Supermicro site, and they say it is
an "embedded long life IoT gateway".

1. https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Compact/IoT/SYS-E100-8Q.cfm
2. https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Quark/A1SQN.cfm

-Alberto