Creating an access point with wpa_supplicant via dbus interface

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Apr 23 14:28:52 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-23 at 13:57 -0700, Marlon Smith wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've written an application that allows a user to connect to a wifi
> network.  The application uses the dbus interface of wpa supplicant, and
> it works great.
>
> I need a way for the user to be able to configure the system as an
> access point as well.  I've tried setting mode=2 and frequency=2412 but
> with no luck.  I'm thinking I might have to instead use hostapd, but
> that becomes a pain because hostapd kills wpa_supplicant when it starts
> and has no dbus interfaces that I can find.

You also want to set the Interface object's 'ap_scan' variable to '2',
same as for adhoc mode.

But beyond that, it should just work if the driver supports AP mode.
What errors are you getting?  Can you share some supplicant debug logs?
You can run the supplicant with "-dddtu" arguments alone and that should
enable the dbus interface and provide verbose debugging output.

Dan