autoscan does not start after manual disconnect

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Sep 28 09:55:09 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 02:06:43PM +0000, Thiemo van Engelen wrote:
> Now I have a problem when there is a connection with an access point and I tell connman to disconnect.
> Connman then tells wpa_supplicant to disconnect, which it does, but then the autoscan of wpa_supplicant is not started.

Disconnect command is requesting wpa_supplicant both to disconnect from
the current AP (if any) and stop trying to connect any network.

> When wpa_supplicant disconnects because the access point goes out of range or is shut off, the autoscan module does seem to work and the syslog shows wpa_supplicant messages about scans.

In that case, there was no explicit request to stop connection attempts.

> My questions are:
> Is this behavior expected that the autoscan is not started when we (manually) disconnect?

Yes

> Should I give a command (and if so, which) to start the autoscan when the manually disconnect?

Requesting a new connection (e.g., reassociate, reattach, reconnect)
should enable scanning for a network.