hostap support for my card ?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Oct 1 10:39:12 PDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 07:26:16PM +0200, ronald warsow wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 08:30 -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > As long as this continues, I would
> > not expect much luck with the latest Prism54 drivers when tried with
> > hostapd. I'll try to remember to update the hostapd web page by adding
> > something along lines "used to work with a version; may not work with
> > current versions".
>
> how can i identify that *magical* version ?

Unfortunately, I do not have that level of detail readily available, I
just know that it did work at some point. The easiest way of figuring
this out could be to go through the driver_prism54.c history and then go
to the mailing list archives at around that time. This version was not
in the kernel tree, so one of the external releases..

> > Just for AP mode?
>
> no, client mode would be adequate, but i wasn't able to associate it
> with my ap and that's my big trouble.

OK. Client mode is going to be more difficult since that has never
worked with fullmac to the best of my knowledge..

> but -btw- the driver/card/firmware *is* able to do wpa, i would believe
> it could do wpa in ap mode also.

I know the firmware works with WPA in AP mode. The problem was in
getting client mode working with fullmac (I haven't heard of anyone
been able to do it; the Windows drivers are likely to use softmac for
WPA).

As far as Linux is concerned, I know that Prism54 cards can be used in
WPA mode both in AP and client modes when using softmac firmware.
However, I don't know whether any driver version needed for this would
be publicly available. FullMAC firmware works with WPA in AP mode and
this has been available for Linux. I gave up on trying to get client
mode WPA working with FullMAC.