authenticated?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Oct 4 06:34:19 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:26:37PM +1300, Morgan Read wrote:

> Is anybody able confirm that the final but one line in the attached file
> (AUTHENTICATED.txt) means what is says, ie I've succeeded in
> authenticating against the server?  And, consequently problems with
> getting an IP are with dhcp and dhclient and not wpa_supplicant (see
> dhclient.txt)?

The debug log from wpa_supplicant seemed to indeed show a successful
authentiation.

> Is it possible to set up wpa_supplicant to run dhclient automatically
> once authentication is complete?

Not at the moment. There has been some discussion on adding that,
though. Another option would be to use wpa_cli to check the status of
the connection from an external script and delay DHCP client starting
until the authentication has been completed.

> Also, I've assumed the WPA responses "EAPOL frame too short" (last line
> etc) are irrelevant as I'm not using wpa but 802.1x?

Yes, that is fine. WPA part of wpa_supplicant is just reporting that it
is ignoring the packet.

> Resolved earlier ssl private_key errors by commenting out private_key in
> the conf file - so, private_key not necessary; wpa_supplicant seems to
> do this internally.  wpa-supplicant.conf attached fyi.

wpa_supplicant doesn't do "this" internally. EAP-PEAP does not require
client certificate/key at all for TLS.. The configuration file you use
looks valid for EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2.