prism2_srec & capabilities

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Jan 20 20:16:45 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:33:59PM +1100, James Harper wrote:

> when i try to use prism2_srec I get an access denied message, but not
> before the card is crashed (iwpriv wlan0 reset 1 fixes it though).

Some more details, please. Exactly what kind of access denied message?
What was printed before this error message? Are there anything
interesting in 'dmesg' output? What kind of prism2_srec command line did
you use? What PRI and STA firmware version did the card have originally?

> i'm using kernel 2.5.58

Have you tested with other versions? prism2_srec works on my laptop at
least with 2.5.47; I haven't tested firmware downloading with 2.5.58.

> any suggestions? i have an idea my kernel doesn't properly support the
> capability stuff and is failing. setcap claims capabilities are not
> supported.

Firmware downloading should not be using anything special as far as
capability verification is concerned. I have assumed that
capable(CAP_NET_ADMIN) would work with any kernel (at least it works for
me ;-). So, if you are able to set SSID with 'iwconfig wlan0 essid
testing', you should have enough privileges for firmware downloading
(assuming it is compiled into the driver).