Accessing the BBC from outside the UK

Jonathan Wiltshire jmw at debian.org
Sat Jan 7 08:18:14 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:57:08PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Oh dear, I seem to have upset the apple-cart.
>
> I can access BBC TV in Dublin (where I live)
> on FreeSat and Saorview ("saor" = "free" in Irish)
> as well as on Sky TV (which I subscribe to),
> so it seemed to me logical that I might be able to access iplayer data,
> without offending the legal sensitivities of our guardians.
>
> I had read somewhere (I don't remember where) that get_iplayer
> allowed people in Ireland to access BBC programs online.
> Evidently I did not read carefully enough.

No offence intended, this concern goes back much further than your enquiry.

For the avoidance of doubt: get_iplayer alone can't get you content that
you can't get to through the browser. It has many convenience features, but
it's helpless if what you want to watch isn't available to you generally.

Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw at debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51