Unable to update or re-install

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 14:30:31 EDT 2012

On 22/04/2012 16:01, Dominic Di Chiera wrote:
> Today I decided to update/re-install Get Iplayer, but the windows
> installer now fails. Im using WIn7x64 running the installer in Admin
> mode and have even turned off my AV.
>
> I get error messages for all components, so I tried doing one at a
> time. The first message I get is:
>
> "Download of get_ip[layer failed: SendRequest Error, Do you wish to try again?"
>
> If yes, I get the same message If no, I get iplayer installed
> successfully, but it them wont run.
>
> In the cmd window I see "Can't open perl script "get_iplayer.cgi": No
> such file or directory"
>
> and then "C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer)'.\pvr_manager.url' is
> not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or
> batch file."
>
> Any help would be appreciated

The installer is apparently unable to connect from your machine to *any*
of the sites required to download the various components, which suggest
some general network problem from your location.  Even though the
installer ran to completion (with you clicking NO at each retry prompt),
nothing was actually downloaded, so there is no get_iplayer to run.
Bottom line: if the downloads fail, you won't get a working installation
of get_iplayer.

I've checked the installer from my location and it works fine, so the
problem stems from something unique to your environment - connectivity,
DNS, proxy, etc.  All I can suggest is to first check if you can access
the get_iplayer server in your browser:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/

That's the site the get_iplayer script is downloaded from.  If that
works, do a complete uninstall of get_iplayer to clear out the files
copied in your earlier attempts, then try again.  The various helper
applications come from other sites, but there's no point in checking
them individually if you can't access get_iplayer itself.

I'm assuming that you have the latest installer from here:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe

which suggests that you were at one time able to access the get_iplayer
server.