Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Steve Champion steve at stevechampion.com
Sun Apr 22 05:05:19 EDT 2012

>  You could put it your options file, but then it will be applied to
> *every* download regardless of programme type. The web interface itself
> doesn't provide any means to override it for a particular programme.

Thanks. I may have a go at that. I could just do everything downloaded,
since I watch very little on the PC

> If you only transcode files occasionally, it might be simpler to just set
> up a profile in WinFF or Super-C and use one of those applications to
> process your files.

On the other hand... I have made a simple batch file which does a "for %%x
in (*.mp4) do..." which serves okay if you have it copy the input files
elsewhere once they have been converted. I can run that when I know I'll not
be using my machine for a while.

For anyone interested (i.e the folks who struggle with this stuff as much as
me):

I have get_iplayer put everything downloaded in a directory called
"Getiplayer" in which I have a batch file called convert.bat. It contains:

for %%X in (*.mp4) do (
"C:\Program Files\get_iplayer\FFmpeg\ffmpeg-0.8-win32-static\bin\ffmpeg" -i
%%X -vcodec mpeg2video -acodec libmp3lame -sameq c:\VideoOut\%%X.mpg
move /Y %%X c:\GetiPlayerArchive\
)
pause

Which converts any mp4s it finds to a format my TV can swallow (outputs in a
different directory). Files converted get moved to an archive directory so
they don't get done again next time.

I could probably spiff it up a bit by checking return codes for failed
conversions, but it will serve for now.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, all.