Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Steve Champion steve at stevechampion.com
Sun Apr 22 04:53:01 EDT 2012

> Mmm.  ok. Try this then:
> ffmpeg -i programme.mp4 -vtag xvid -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libmp3lame -sameq

That is about 20% smaller, but my rubbish TV can't play it :-( I think I'll
just have to stick with what I have and be grateful that a conversion is
possible, without whining about the size!

However, I have to admit that I was a bit surprised that the file size
baloons by a factor of 2.5 (even after that 20% improvement). I knew that
each newer version of compression saved ever more space (at the expense of
processing required) but the magnitude, I had not appreciated.

> erm, er ... "from" I'm really not sure (I'm not a user of the web
> interface); "with" I don't see why not.

I was thinking that it would allow me to convert everything downloaded
automatically, but I see that will be a bit more of a struggle. Never mind.

Thanks!