Speedtouch speed problems.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat May 20 12:23:26 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 17:30 +0200, Duncan Sands wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > My USB Speedtouch 330 syncs very slowly -- at 1120Kb/s at the moment.
>
> is this the reported line speed, or the speed you can achieve?
> You say "at the moment" - does this mean it has changed?

It changes over time. This is 'DSL Max'. If I can manage 1152Kb/s then I
get 1Mb/s of IP traffic -- otherwise I get limited to 51Kb/s by British
Telecom (http://www.aaisp.net.uk/maxatm.html).

> Do you need "extended reach", i.e. are you far from the exchange,
> or did you just give it a go?

I'm relatively far from the exchange, yes -- which is why I tried the
Windows driver. I first tried a Zyxel standalone router, and noticed
that it was _also_ doing a lot better than the Speedtouch does under
Linux.

> > What are we doing wrong?
>
> Most of the reverse engineered info that went into the driver was
> done long ago on now out-of-date modems.  Maybe the thing to do is
> to start with a recent modem and do a careful analysis of what
> windows does (I already planned to do this for modem initialization,
> but haven't found time yet).

Do I need a USB analyser for this or anything else special? I'd also
like to see what their 'Dr. Speedtouch' tool which reads noise levels
etc. is doing.

I also picked up a cxacru modem (Zoom 5510) today, to see if that fares
any better -- but that driver seems to just crash. I think it doesn't
like the firmware, and handles that failure very badly (rmmod spinning
CPU, or khubd spinning CPU if I unplug the device).

--
dwmw2