Speedtouch speed problems.

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Sat May 20 11:30:21 EDT 2006

Hi David,

> My USB Speedtouch 330 syncs very slowly -- at 1120Kb/s at the moment.

is this the reported line speed, or the speed you can achieve?
You say "at the moment" - does this mean it has changed?

> This means I'm limited to 512Mb/s of IP traffic.
>
> If I plug the same modem, using the same firmware, into a Windows
> machine with the 'Extended reach' driver from
> http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/330.asp then I get 1376Kb/s.

Do you need "extended reach", i.e. are you far from the exchange,
or did you just give it a go?

> What are we doing wrong?

Most of the reverse engineered info that went into the driver was
done long ago on now out-of-date modems.  Maybe the thing to do is
to start with a recent modem and do a careful analysis of what
windows does (I already planned to do this for modem initialization,
but haven't found time yet).

Ciao,

Duncan.