Insurance.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Apr 21 10:42:39 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 09:41 -0400, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> The main reason why we booked the insurance from P&V is that most
> travel insurances will not cover them dragging you down from the
> mountain in a helicopter when you do a beautiful stunt jump off the
> side of the cliff. I don't know how that works for Austria.

Interesting... mine does; I just called them to double-check. What's the
point of travel insurance covering winter sports if it doesn't cover the
helicopters?

> In addition I think the insurance we got covered theft from the
> apartments as well as theft of rented equipment.

As does my existing policy, again.

Certainly, these are useful details to check in the fine print of your
personal policy -- I should have made reference to them in my original
question. But I don't think they're unlikely.

I paid £56 for my annual policy, covering myself and Karen for just
about everything including 17 days of skiing per annum. The single-trip
policies work out at around £20 per person or thereabouts, which just
doesn't seem worth it in comparison. It looks like it would be better
just to make sure people have their own.

I'm not particularly averse to booking group single-trip insurance for
people who don't have/want their own cover, but it seems a bit wasteful
just to do it for everyone unconditionally -- hence asking the question.

The main hurdle is that everyone I've got a quote from seems to want me
to promise that every member of my group is resident in the UK, which is
a bit of a lie. Is that any easier if you talk to an insurer on the
mainland?

--
dwmw2