Local site visit requested

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Sep 28 10:44:39 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 17:58 -0700, Ellie Young wrote:
> What else is around the DeVere?  Are there cheaper hotels near by?
> What about restaurants and transportation?

It's fairly much in the centre of Cambridge, and Cambridge isn't that
big -- so most things are going to be 'near by'.¹

See http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?&f=q&q=university%20arms%20cambridge&z=16&ll=52.20236,0.119498&spn=0.010139,0.026071&t=h&om=1

The University Arms is marked, and the Corn Exchange is just under a
mile northwest, just to the west of the Lion Yard shopping centre. By
amazing coincidence it's on Corn Exchange Street, which is labelled on
the map. It's at the north end of Corn Exchange Street.

> Re the Korn hall:   There are two halls and something next door.
>  We  don't need a big big room, the smaller hall seats 475 theatre
> style.
> What do we do need info about is where to book sleeping rooms close
> by and catering there?  We also need a space for lunch and dinner.
> And we usually need rooms in evening for BOFs.

Same answers for accommodation as for the University Arms -- fairly much
anything in central Cambridge is 'near by', including most of the
colleges if you can manage to book a block of rooms with one of them.

--
dwmw2

¹ The exception being the railway station, which is a few miles south
down Hills Road -- if you zoom out, you'll see the railway line.
Allegedly because the University wouldn't have one of those "new-fangled
things" in _their_ town, although I'm not how much truth there is in
that.