Local site visit requested

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Sep 27 21:42:06 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 11:36:55PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 02:59:46PM -0700, Ellie Young wrote:
> > Excellent info and the restaurants sound good.  We looke dinto the
> > Regent and Crowne-- they dont' have the meeting space.
> > The DeVere has meeting space, which we hope you'll verify for us will
> > work, and ask them about connectivity.   They could also handle
> > catering for breakfast/lunch/breaks.   We would have to find venues
> > for the group as a whole for one evening-- it would be fun to explore
> > a venue with ambience and good food.
>
> Most of the central colleges have medieval halls and can do formal
> dinners. A 3 or 4 course meal would probably be something like £30 a
> head, depending on the menu and wine choices. If this sounds good, I can
> look into that.

That would be good for the opening reception dinner on Sunday night,
although 30 pounds may be a bit pricey for the budget --- I'll let
Ellie or Cat comment on that.

Unless the college is very close to where we are going to be holding
the BOF sessions, though, it may be hard to use the space on Monday
night.  Of course, if the college has smaller breakout rooms that are
nearby the medieval halls, one possibility is that we move from the
plenary session to the college for dinner, and then have the BOF
sessions in the college afterwards.  I assume that the smaller rooms
would be easier to obtain in the colleges.

The questions to raise with that approach would be:

	* How much would the colleges charge for the BOF rooms?
	* Does it matter that they may not be networking available in
		the BOF rooms?

So maybe it wouldn't be such a great idea for Monday night, after the
kernel summit has started.  But certainly, a medieval hall ala Harry
Potter (although presumably without the appearance of the food via
magic :-) would definitely be a fun way to start off the kernel summit
on Sunday night!

						- Ted