We need to close on a location for the Cambridge KS

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Mon Oct 2 16:11:41 EDT 2006

Hi all,

	So it's Monday, and we need to close on the location for the
Cambridge KS.  It looks like the DeVere University Arms has everything
we need, and while the Corn Exchange and/or Guild Hall may be cheaper,
(1) we don't have full pricing information yet, (2) Wifi access may or
may not be available by next September, and (3) a recent note
indicated that the extra meeting rooms (for BOF's, etc.) would only be
available if we rented BOTH the Conrn Exchange and the Guild Hall,
which would tend to neutralize any cost advantage.

Given that, does anyone see a reason why Usenix SHOULDN'T start
finalizing meeting room arrangements with the DeVere, in particular
given that the DeVere has withdrawn the minimum room block
requirement?

If the answer is yes, the next question is which colleges or other
establishments nearby might have lower lodging rates than the DeVere?
We could just ask everyone to stay at the DeVere, but it's pricey
enough that if there are lower cost alternatives, it would probably be
a oog idea to make them available just in case the hotel costs might
end up being a reason why some people wouldn't be able to attend.

Regards,

						- Ted