here we are again: real name 'discussion'

Paul D newtwen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 05:31:40 PDT 2024

> a) It's a policy change and not a code change.
> Policy changes require a vote

Then take a(nother) vote.

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2024-January/042063.html

https://openwrt.org/submitting-patches

> c) It's completely unclear what the new intended requirements are.

For whom? Sorry, I do not understand what you're getting at here.

> The Kernel's "clarification" regarding this topic is *very* vague in my
> opinion. What does "known identity" even mean? Known to whom, and to
> what degree?

Do not conflate vague with abstract. The thing we care about here is an
email address. Can anyone know it? Yes. Can everyone know it? Yes. Can
two people have an identical email address? No. ( This is distinct from
two people *using* one email address ).

Lavabit shut down over the FBIs pursuit of a single email address
(namely Snowden). If an email address is good enough for the FBI, it's
good enough for DCO.

"
A real name does not require a legal name, nor a birth name, nor any
name that appears on an official ID (e.g. a passport).
"

> If somebody contributes with his GitHub handle, does that already count
> as known?

When they're backed by en email address, yes.