here we are again: real name 'discussion'

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Tue Mar 26 15:15:16 PDT 2024

On 26.03.24 14:39, Paul D wrote:
> We have quorum/consensus on this issue. Is it too much to ask that
> everyone now follow it, or at least have this token 'vote'?

Where did you see the quorum/consensus? I looked at the links and
couldn't find it.

> Triggered by the yggdrasil additions of recent.
>
> https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/23072
>

> Paul S amended the policy (in packages[1] and openwrt[2] repos) with an
> open discussion in PRs for Felix to then change direction via:
>
> https://github.com/openwrt/actions-shared-workflows/commit/12d9551f2d07ec34ac813da8612c8014fb393af6
>

> with comment: "should require a public discussion/vote"

I reverted the change because:

a) It's a policy change and not a code change.
Policy changes require a vote.

b) Just because the kernel changed their interpretation of DCO
requirements doesn't mean this automatically applies to OpenWrt
contribution policy.

c) It's completely unclear what the new intended requirements are.
So far it has been our policy that contributions need to be signed off
with the real name of the submitter.
If we want to change this in order to allow contributions without a real
name attached, we need to clarify what's acceptable and what isn't.
The Kernel's "clarification" regarding this topic is *very* vague in my
opinion. What does "known identity" even mean? Known to whom, and to
what degree?
If somebody contributes with his GitHub handle, does that already count
as known?

- Felix