Unbalanced prioritization in the images buildbot? (main branch deprioritized too much)

Thibaut hacks at slashdirt.org
Tue Nov 14 05:25:50 PST 2023

Hi,

> Le 14 nov. 2023 à 13:25, Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> a écrit :
>
> Thibaut <hacks at slashdirt.org> [2023-11-14 10:24:28]:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I don’t follow, what do security fixes have to do with snapshot builds?
>
> OpenWrt builds and deliver package fixes continuosly from the snapshot builds.
>
>> I don’t expect users (that includes myself) to keep constantly looking at
>> the git history to find if/when a CVE has been addressed in the snapshot
>> builds.
>
> You're not expected to do this, we send out security advisories if its
> important, where you can usually find recommended mitigations, like for
> example:
>
> https://forum.openwrt.org/c/announcements/14
> https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-announce/2022-October/000033.html
>
> most of the fixes can be handled with `opkg update; opkg upgrade`

I’m sorry, I must have missed the part where we advertised that master snapshots are a maintained 'release' suitable for use in a security-conscious context :)

Anyway, I have added an additional commit to my PR that removes branch priority: while it won’t solve the intrinsic resource waste that our buildbot system currently is, it should assuage the concerns raised in this thread.

Cheers,