Adding a new platform: renesas rz

Michele Bisogno micbis.openwrt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 05:28:00 PDT 2023

Torsten,

> The question then is: are they similar enough to build from one kernel
> source, or will they require different sets of patches?

RZ includes different subseries, as of today: RZ/G, RZ/V and some new
RZ/T run Linux.
Renesas official SW package is based on the CIP Linux, even though the
support of the devices is regularly upstreamed in the Linux kernel.
I kind of know that the maintainers are trying to keep things
consistent and usually the same kernel image works for all the
supported devices, requiring just a different device tree.
My idea at the moment is to add the devices that are supported in Linux 6.1.

> Have you looked at the peripherials on the SoCs? Is RZ/Five identical
> to RZ/Arm in that respect? I've seen this at WinChipHead, for
> microcontrollers. The reasoning again would be whether it could be
> built from the same source code base.

RZ/Five is basically a RZ/G2UL with a RISC-V CPU instead of Arm.
Of course for RZ/Five the same kernel binary cannot work.
On top of that, it's a pity that the RZ/Five started to be supported
from 6.2, I'm not sure what to do with it.

> If not, how about "rzarm", leaving room for future "rzfive"? I know this
> sounds like bike shedding, but it might actually save some renaming
> work in the future. Naming it just "renesas" does not feel right, IMHO.

Honestly I am fine with any naming, that's why I am here asking and
discussing it.

Kind regards,
Michele