Adding a new platform: renesas rz

Torsten Duwe duwe at lst.de
Thu Nov 2 04:41:28 PDT 2023

On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:40:02 +0100
Robert Marko <robimarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 at 10:40, Michele Bisogno
> <micbis.openwrt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been a happy OpenWRT user for many years now, always buying
> > routers that could allow me to run it easily.

Same here :-)

[...]
> > For example, naming (renesas? renesas-rz? rz?) and structure of the
> > subfolders. There are other variants I would like to add: RZ/G2LC,
> > RZ/G2UL and maybe others.
>
> To me, just "renesas" sounds good and then you can introduce the
> individual SoC families as subtargets.

Renesas offers different architectures in their portfolio[1], I haven't
dug into the OpenWRT build system for this issue yet to tell whether it
is able to handle that at this folder level. Much of the above is
"legacy" and does not run OpenWRT(?), but they also seem to aim for
Risc-V. There is a platform called "ramips" and the broadcoms each have
their own subdirectory. None of them have punctuation yet. Maybe call it
"renesasrz"? They're also offering other ARM-based SoCs, and building
common kernels might become difficult.

	Torsten

[1]
https://www.renesas.com/eu/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/other-mcus-mpus