Adding a new platform: renesas rz

Torsten Duwe duwe at lst.de
Fri Nov 3 01:55:27 PDT 2023

Hi Michele,

On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:04:08 +0100
Michele Bisogno <micbis.openwrt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > is able to handle that at this folder level. Much of the above is
> > "legacy" and does not run OpenWRT(?), but they also seem to aim for
> > Risc-V. There is a platform called "ramips" and the broadcoms each
> > have their own subdirectory.
[...]
> what is listed there is old stuff.

I thought so, thanks for the confirmation.

> Renesas MPUs are now all under the RZ umbrella.

The question then is: are they similar enough to build from one kernel
source, or will they require different sets of patches?

> Well, actually there are also the rcar devices, but these are
> automotive SoCs. Yes, there is an RZ device that is not Arm: RZ/Five.
> For now it is a single device based on a Andes core.

Have you looked at the peripherials on the SoCs? Is RZ/Five identical
to RZ/Arm in that respect? I've seen this at WinChipHead, for
microcontrollers. The reasoning again would be whether it could be
built from the same source code base.

If not, how about "rzarm", leaving room for future "rzfive"? I know this
sounds like bike shedding, but it might actually save some renaming
work in the future. Naming it just "renesas" does not feel right, IMHO.

	Torsten