Does the --background option exist for Windows?

Paolo Ienne (严保罗) paolo.ienne at ieee.org
Sun Sep 17 09:25:43 PDT 2023

Hello.

First and foremost, a big thank you for the only way I found to connect
reliably to a Cisco VPN with a CLI (and without typing anything) on
Windows. I am still struggling to have VPN always on with Windows 10,
ideally without ever doing anything: I would love to switch on the laptop
and VPN is there; anything disconnects for any reason, the VPN comes back
by itself as soon as connectivity is restored. Honestly, I do not
understand if I am dumb or why this is not immediately possible. Any
insight would be great, because I suspect just about everyone would want
that on a laptop (and I had it before with a non-Cisco VPN).

But I am writing to ask if it is correct that the Windows port of
OpenConnect does not offer the "--background" switch. It seems so (I
finally managed to access the latest build for Windows 10, thinking that
the slighter older one did not have it yet but newer might) but I find
this mentioned nowhere.

Last but not least, you may want to note that the links to "master branch
for 32-bit Windows or for 64-bit Windows" on

    https://www.infradead.org/openconnect/packages.html

are broken. The "Fedora dwmw2/openconnect COPR" mentioned in the next
paragraph actually work--although it was a bit of an adventure to manage
to unpack the multiple layers of archives and compressions to finally get
to the single meaningful file inside the RPM.

Best,

p.