NetworkManager-openconnect(gnome-control-center network) UI apply does not close

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue May 9 02:11:26 PDT 2023

On Sat, 2023-05-06 at 06:41 +0200, Grant Williamson wrote:
> There's a minor issue that I've noticed. When I edit a connection
> using nm-connection-editor, I'm able to save the changes without any
> problems. However, if I try to edit a connection using the
> gnome-control-center network method, the changes can still be applied
> but the dialog box doesn't close automatically. After clicking on
> apply, I have to manually click on cancel to exit the dialog box.

Right. And if you run it from the command line, you'll see it say this:

09:40:58.0880                   nm[260279]:CRITICAL: ((src/libnm-
client-impl/nm-device.c:2450)): assertion '<dropped>' failed

You get the same when creating a new connection. And then if you click
'Apply' again it says this:

09:41:07.1184     cc-network-panel[260279]: WARNING: Failed to add
connection: a connection with this UUID already exists

And this some the dialog *does* close, giving you no indication at all
in the UI that it thinks it failed!

I then can't *open* that connection again successfully. gnome-control-
center just spins as if 'loading' it, for ever. And nm-connection-
editor seems to lack the actual VPN config pane; it just has the
standard IP/DNS configuration panes. But the VPN config has been
created just fine.

Experimenting with it, it looks like this happens when there are no
*secrets*. It might not even *need* any secrets, but unless I create a
[vpn-secrets] section with some random `foo=bar` in it, the GUI won't
load the connection editor.

I don't *think* this is specific to NetworkManager-openconnect; I don't
really do anything with the secrets in the config UI. Not even sure I
*can*. Can you file bugs against gnome-control-center (for the CRITICAL
warning when you hit Apply, and the utter lack of error reporting), and
I think probably NetworkManager for the connection failing to reload?