[Networkmanager] NetworkManager-openconnect(gnome-control-center network) UI apply does not close

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue May 9 10:40:30 PDT 2023

On Tue, 2023-05-09 at 10:11 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2023-05-06 at 06:41 +0200, Grant Williamson wrote:
> > There's a minor issue that I've noticed. When I edit a connection
> > using nm-connection-editor, I'm able to save the changes without any
> > problems. However, if I try to edit a connection using the
> > gnome-control-center network method, the changes can still be applied
> > but the dialog box doesn't close automatically. After clicking on
> > apply, I have to manually click on cancel to exit the dialog box.
>
> Right. And if you run it from the command line, you'll see it say this:
>
> 09:40:58.0880                   nm[260279]:CRITICAL: ((src/libnm-
> client-impl/nm-device.c:2450)): assertion '<dropped>' failed
>
> You get the same when creating a new connection. And then if you click
> 'Apply' again it says this:
>
> 09:41:07.1184     cc-network-panel[260279]: WARNING: Failed to add
> connection: a connection with this UUID already exists
>
> And this some the dialog *does* close, giving you no indication at all
> in the UI that it thinks it failed!
>
> I then can't *open* that connection again successfully. gnome-control-
> center just spins as if 'loading' it, for ever. And nm-connection-
> editor seems to lack the actual VPN config pane; it just has the
> standard IP/DNS configuration panes. But the VPN config has been
> created just fine.
>
> Experimenting with it, it looks like this happens when there are no
> *secrets*. It might not even *need* any secrets, but unless I create a
> [vpn-secrets] section with some random `foo=bar` in it, the GUI won't
> load the connection editor.
>
> I don't *think* this is specific to NetworkManager-openconnect; I don't
> really do anything with the secrets in the config UI. Not even sure I
> *can*. Can you file bugs against gnome-control-center (for the CRITICAL
> warning when you hit Apply, and the utter lack of error reporting), and
> I think probably NetworkManager for the connection failing to reload?

Turns out auth-dialog is spawned for the secrets when launching the
config GUI. Bisecting showed that it was a commit which *only* changed
auth-dialog which was breaking it.

So that part should be fixed with
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/NetworkManager-openconnect/-/commit/4a339f507

But please still do file the bug(s) against gnome-control-center for
the Apply button not working, and the lack of error handling when that
happens.

Thanks.