OpenConnect hangs after connecting?

Daniel Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 17:29:47 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Itamar Gal <igal at utexas.edu> wrote:

> I installed the OpenConnect package (which has OpenConnect version
> v5.02). When I attempt to connect to the VPN the connection appears to
> be successful, but hangs after completion. I also manually installed
> OpenConnect version v7.07 and tried using that instead, but I got
> similar behavior; the output looks slightly different, but it still
> appears to connect and then hang.

> Connected tun0 as 5.6.7.8, using SSL
> Established DTLS connection (using OpenSSL)

What do you mean by "hang" here? It appears that OpenConnect is
working perfectly normally.

You did not pass it the -b/--background option, so the openconnect
process is running in the foreground. The openconnect process needs
to keep running, because it's entirely responsible for passing traffic
between the kernel device, tun0, and the VPN gateway; it can run in
either the foreground or the background.

If you can open another terminal window and connect to hosts inside
the VPN network, then it's working fine... you are just a single
command-line option away from preventing it from "hanging" :-P

-Dan