SSL VPN with the Cisco WRVS4400N

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Nov 14 04:54:47 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 16:14 +1300, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone had any joy with successfully using OpenConnect with the
> Cisco WRVS4400N VPN router? A cursory look online gives me one thread
> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openconnect-devel/2010-September/000224.html)
> but without any further information.
>
> I believe that this router supports both IPsec and HTTPS/SSL VPN
> methods, and the latter I understand is what is used by the Cisco
> QuickVPN client software for Windows users to connect with.
>
> If no-one's really had a crack at this I'm happy to perform further data
> gathering, as I'd much rather prefer an open client solution.

Nobody's looked at it, as far as I'm aware. I suspect it's some kind of
HTTPS-based initial connection for authentication and setup, and that
gives the parameters for the IPSec connection that follows.

By setting up a MITM proxy and watching the traffic between the two, you
should be able to work it out fairly quickly, I'd hope.