autorization not respond on netwinder office server 2100

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Mon Mar 13 09:54:29 EST 2006

Georgescu Gabriel wrote:

>  I don't have any proxy server in my network. It is true that if I give
> "netstat" command I don't have any response for a long time. If I try to
> connect with msdos FTP command I get "connection closed by remote host".
> Now email is working but very very hard. Sometimes also I succeeded to
> connect  with FTP on msdos but immediately after that I get the error
> message "connection with the host lost". Until today everything worked
> fine and nothing was changed on the server.

Always try "netstat -n" to avoid DNS lookups, then you should have no
delays in the response.

You may have "Connection closed" error when you connect to the wrong
machine.  Verify the netwinder's ip address using "ifconfig" and then
connect to it numerically (eg. "ftp 192.168.x.y").  You should see the
connection in netstat output, also, in the /var/log/messages or
/var/log/xferlog log files.  If you do not, then you are not actually
connecting to your netwinder, which i suspect is that case, since you
say that "ftp localhost" works fine.

-R