Mail server at netwinder.org seems to be slightly misconfigured...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Mar 9 07:09:22 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 07:00 -0500, Ralph Siemsen wrote:
> Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> > I accidentally put netwinder at netwinder.org twice in the Cc field of a
> > reply, and got this:
> >
> >> 550-Rejected after DATA: malformed address:
> >> 550-<netwinder at netwinder.org>\n may not follow <netwinder at netwinder.org> :
> >> 550-failing address in "Cc" header is: <netwinder at netwinder.org>
> >> 550 <netwinder at netwinder.org>

Right. The mail server observed that the Cc: header is syntactically
invalid, and rejected the mail.

> > There is nothing wrong with that, but I then used the Resend command,
> > and changed the only recipient to netwinder at netwinder.org in the To
> > field, and got the same error.

Er, yes. The mail server observed that the Cc: header is syntactically
invalid, and rejected the mail. Again :)

> > Looks like the mail server does not properly understand the
> > Resent-From and Resent-To header fields.

The mail server doesn't 'understand' any of the To:, Cc: or Resent-*:
headers in the payload; they are utterly irrelevant to its operation.
However, it does check them for syntax and reject mails which don't
conform to RFC2822.

Your Cc: header seems to have been something like this (over two lines,
since a newline followed immediately by whitespace is a continuation of
a header):

Cc: <netwinder at netwinder.org>
 <netwinder at netwinder.org>

That isn't valid, and it seems like it was present in both your attempts
to send the mail. I'd suggest filing a bug against whatever mail program
you're using; it shouldn't have allowed you to send something which was
that broken.

--
dwmw2