Updating NetWinder

Paul Thompson paulfthompson at supanet.com
Wed Mar 1 15:07:02 EST 2006

Hi all,
        Bought a NetWinder off Ebay to act as a home Mail server and Internet home page store. Never really not to grips with it but thought would make a new start and bring the software up to date for a start. Have created user accounts and set it up to cache web pages in the past. Lost interest when the max size of email attachment appeared to be accepted was around 3 Mb. Would like to be able to send attachments of 20 Mb and over

My NetWinder is running :-

Netmon version 2.1.16 c
Kernel 2.2.14 20000612 on Armv4
Officeserver Version 2.0 Build 8.

I think 2 HDAs are created /dev/hda1 and dev/hda3 space used on these is very low 2% and 8% disk size total 12 Gb

DF command shows
/dev/hda1 9463240 138212     2%    mounted as /
/dev/hda3 2064144 159432 1799832  8% mounted as /usr

Have managed to load dm-3.1-15.tar.gz onto the server but unsure what commands to use to make sure I am on the correct HDA. In windows I would just type C: or D: etc

Read quite a lot of the Faqs and thought for a start would update the disk image.
Found a page here  oregonstate.edu/pub/netwinder/pub/netwinder/images/  which amonst others contains  dm-3.1-15.tar.gz which is around 338 Mb and base-nw9.tar.bz2 which is around 58 Mb. Does the dm 3 1 15 contain the nw9 file or do I have to load them one after the other ? Already have instructions on how to load an image on to the Netwinder but which image to use is beyond me

Have not managed to find any updates for the Netmon or the Kernel and not even sure if these are necessary (or what a Kernel is but assume it is the operating system)

Have had the NetWinder running on my system and seems to work 'as is' but after updating the Netwinder would like to run a better Mail server that actually collects the email and distributes as necessary this is the reason for updating the disk.

Tried a few umount commands to get a feel for the command structure and managed to umount hda1 but every time tried the same command on hda3 it just reported 'disk is busy'.

Thanks in advance for any help but please bear in mind that am not Linux savvy at all but have a good knowledge of Windows and a fair bit of (Home) network knowledge

Thanks again

Paul Thompson