continued troubles compiling kernel

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Sat Jan 8 15:46:01 EST 2005

dave pratt wrote:

> I'm not sure why it cannot find the limits.h and this
> complicated by the fact that a "locate limits.h"
> returns several hits in various directorys...
>
> Any help would be very greatly appreciated...

The normal setup on netwinder is the following links:

/usr/src/linux -> wherever your kernel sources are
/usr/include/linux -> ../src/linux/include/linux
/usr/include/asm -> ../src/linux/include/asm

We do not (currently) use the more modern idea of having
/usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm being directories, packaged as
part of the glibc build process.

> I've tried creating all sorts of symlinks but nothing
> seems to make any sort of difference.. If someone
> could just tell me command for command exactly how
> they succesfulyl built their kernel from src.rpm I'd
> be very very very grateful

The binaries are in fact built from the src.rpm package... honestly!
The problems you are seeing with missing headers will affect almost any
software you try to compile on your netwinder - you really do need these
headers installed.

-Ralph