Looking for a netwinder

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Tue Sep 14 15:22:25 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:54:48PM -0500, Tom Spielman wrote:

> Sorry if this is a duplicate. My DSL line was giving me fits last night
> and I don't know if the original message made it out or not.

Seems to have made it now... didn't see one last night.

> I've wanted a Netwinder for years to use as a low wattage Web/file server.
> I'd like to install a largish hard drive and I know that there can be
> power supply issues.  Are some models better than others for this purpose?

Well the rackmount version takes a 3.5" drive, so you can more easily
get large capacity drives.  Netwinder.org itself was running on a pair
of Western Digital 120GB's (I don't know the exact model number but can
look it up).  Basically it comes down to the spin-up current requirements
for the drive, which you can usually find in spec sheets from the drive
manufacturers.

The smaller desktop model takes a laptop drive; more expensive, but can
easily be hidden in a closet or under desk... the small drives also do not
have any power consumption issues (less inertia to get moving).

> Is there a good source for new/used Netwinders?  Ebay seems to have
> nothing and I haven't gotten any response from Netwinder, Inc.

Hehe, ebay is your best bet... we're pretty sure netwinder inc is not
actually in business anymore (guess I should update the support page).
There is also an ottawa-area recyling shop that tends to accumulate
netwinders as local companies get rid of them...
http://www.computerrecyclersottawa.com/index1.html

Cheers!
-Ralph