user log question

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Thu Oct 14 16:41:40 EDT 2004

Duane Hanson wrote:

> I have a Netwinder and need to see if a user has been improperly using
> their account.  Is there a user log located anywhere that would show
> login times / duration?  I am particularly interested in seeing their
> ftp activity/sessions.

There is a command called "last" that will show you all the logins and
their durations.  You can feed this into "less" or "grep" to search for
specific users.

FTP also maintains a long in /var/log/xferlog of all the files transfered.

Please note, the support at netwinder.org list has been merged together
with the other lists into a single netwinder at netwinder.org list.  You'll
need to re-subscribe if you want to receive list traffic.

-Ralph