device tree on rpi2 not working

Phil Elwell phil at raspberrypi.org
Wed Dec 16 01:34:38 PST 2015

That documentation is correct - the correct DTB is loaded automatically
by the firmware provided it finds the RPTL trailer saying that the
kernel is DT-capable; passing a DT-blob to a kernel that is expecting
ATAGs is a good way to stop it booting, but unzipping a compressed
kernel to check its capabilities is an expensive operation, which is why
the trailer and the mkknlimg tool were created.

By adding an explicit device_tree value you have overridden the trailer
detection, forcing the firmware into DT mode, which is fine provided you
don't want to share your SD card between different models of Pi.