yenta-socket IRQ problems

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Aug 4 09:54:02 EDT 2009

Hi Robert,

Robert Kentish wrote:
> I've spent the last couple of days attempting to get my Epia MII
> board to boot from the onboard CF slot. I'm using coreboot v2

Lovely! :)

> and have successfully created a working kernel that will load from
> a CF card and detect both the socket and the card.

How are you loading that kernel? If you're using FILO or another
payload to read it off the CF card, note that the Ricoh PCMCIA chip
is a little peculiar. If it is set up to behave comfortably for
simple payload ATA drivers, it doesn't get along well with the kernel
drivers, and vice versa.

There is a hack (resetcf.c in coreboot utils repo) that resets the
Ricoh, intended to run out of initrd/initramdisk.

IIRC I used a DOM with this board to get around the CF trouble. I did
spend some time with it but didn't find a really satisfactory
solution.

Lately the resetcf.c code was included into FILO, so maybe that
works for you.

> The problem I have is that I have to boot the kernel with the
> irqpoll option otherwise I get "qc timeout (cmd 0x91)" and "failed
> to IDENTIFY (INIT_DEV_PARAMS failed, err_mask=0x4)" errors when the
> pata_pcmcia module is inserted and the card is not accessible.
..

> Are the interrupts setup by the yenta-socket module or the
> pata_pcmcia module, which one should I start to look at?

Neither. They are set up by coreboot, and because noone has tested
this board successfully in quite a while it is entirely possible that
something has broken since 2006 when I had it in my car. :)

Maybe better move over to the coreboot list though.

//Peter