yenta-socket IRQ problems

Robert Kentish robert at bertworld.com
Tue Aug 4 10:55:14 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response...

> Robert Kentish wrote:
> > I've spent the last couple of days attempting to get my Epia MII
> > board to boot from the onboard CF slot. I'm using coreboot v2
>
> Lovely! :)
>

> > and have successfully created a working kernel that will load from
> > a CF card and detect both the socket and the card.
>
> How are you loading that kernel? If you're using FILO or another
> payload to read it off the CF card, note that the Ricoh PCMCIA chip
> is a little peculiar. If it is set up to behave comfortably for
> simple payload ATA drivers, it doesn't get along well with the kernel
> drivers, and vice versa.

The kernel's loaded via FILO. Manually at this stage due to a typo in the
AUTOBOOT option by me :-(. I also tried to get this going using the drive
as an IDE one as per the coreboot HOWTO eg. Let the standard IDE detection
find the third IDE controller but had even less luck.

> There is a hack (resetcf.c in coreboot utils repo) that resets the
> Ricoh, intended to run out of initrd/initramdisk.

I've actually tried putting the resetcf program in my initramfs but it
didn't seem to do much. It certainly didn't allow me to mount the card.

> IIRC I used a DOM with this board to get around the CF trouble. I did
> spend some time with it but didn't find a really satisfactory
> solution.
>
> Lately the resetcf.c code was included into FILO, so maybe that
> works for you.

When you say included in FILO, where should I look? I used a version
from the coreboot/util directory that I manually compiled and included.
I couldn't see anything similar in the FILO directories.

> > The problem I have is that I have to boot the kernel with the
> > irqpoll option otherwise I get "qc timeout (cmd 0x91)" and "failed
> > to IDENTIFY (INIT_DEV_PARAMS failed, err_mask=0x4)" errors when the
> > pata_pcmcia module is inserted and the card is not accessible.
> ..
>
> > Are the interrupts setup by the yenta-socket module or the
> > pata_pcmcia module, which one should I start to look at?
>
> Neither. They are set up by coreboot, and because noone has tested
> this board successfully in quite a while it is entirely possible that
> something has broken since 2006 when I had it in my car. :)

I've had this sitting on a shelf for a while now and have only just plucked
up the courage to try coreboot. I don't have a bios saver so it's hot swap
and
flash the scary way!!

> Maybe better move over to the coreboot list though.

I'll see what I can find over there.

Thanks.