PCMCIA / compact flash / au1x00

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Fri Apr 20 11:17:00 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:17:28PM +0200, Aeschbacher, Fabrice wrote:
> > > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m
> >
> > Try using the PCMCIA PATA driver instead.
>
> This does not seem to work either. In this case, which would be the
> device? /dev/hda? or /dev/sda? something else?

The first of hda, hdc, hde, hdg, hdi etc. that is free.

> I tried to run pcmcia-socket-startup, without success. It does not
> display any message, neither on stdout nor in dmesg. I tried
> without parameters, with 0 then with and 0.0 as parameter.

Should not need parameters.

> Moreover, 'pccardctl status' display the subdevice 0 as 'unbound'
> (should be 'bound', I imagine):

Yes. Perhaps the CF device id isn't added to the pcmcia_pata and/or
ide-cs drivers. I don't know exactly how to retrieve the number, but
I think it's all covered in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/pcmcia/

If the kernel driver doesn't know about the id, userspace tools are
required for reading the card CIS and then for starting it up.

>   # pccardctl status
>   Socket 0:
>     3.3V 16-bit PC Card
>     Subdevice 0 (function 0) [unbound]
>
> But the kernel recognizes when I plug the CF card in and out (I can
> see messages on the console).

Aye, you're good on your way but not quite there.

//Peter