Questions about the new (2.6.13 or greater) pcmcia scheme...

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Sat Feb 25 03:09:37 EST 2006

> My question is:  WHERE are the new config files??  when I put in a prism2
> card in my laptop, it loads the orinoco driver !! :(

I think this is not a pcmcia related but hotplug/udev related problem. For Prism
card, the hostap_cs is the correct drver for this hw. Try to blacklist onirono_cs in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat or related file, add line:

blacklist hostap_cs

You will need relatively new module-init-tools package.

> How do I tell hotplug NOT to use the orinoco driver, but to use the hostap
> driver that I custom compiled??  (Im using SuSE 10.0, linux 2.6.13).  there
> is NOT any configuration files in /etc/pcmcia.

Other place to do blacklistning would be: /etc/hotplug/blacklist , just add
orinoco_cs module name there.

If the blacklistning doesn't work, you can always move the orinoco_cs.ko module to
outside the kernel module tre
(/lib/modules/2.6.13xxxx/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/), and then run 'depmod -ea'.
E.g.

1) mv /lib/modules/2.6.13xxxx/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.ko
/home/Jerry
2) depmod -ea
3) Reboot the system

--