Cannot bring up eth0 with kernel 2.6.12 - 3com 3c754 - LAN+56K PC card

cga cga2001 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 04:42:14 EST 2006

I am trying to do a "net install" of debian testing - "etch" on a Dell
Inspiron 7500 with a 3com "LAN + 56K" pc card connected to a motorola
surfboard cable modem (optimum online is the isp - IP address obtained
via dhcp).

debian "etch" currently installs a 2.6.12 kernel by default.

1. The installer initially failed to configure the network card. I
worked around this by loading the 3c574 module manually and re-running
the "configure network" step from the install main menu.
2. After rebooting "ifconfig" only shows "lo" active. However "ifconfig
-a" and cardctl ident/status suggest that the hardware has been
correctly recognized and lsmod appears to indicate that the relevant
modules have been loaded.
3. At this point I  tried a number of things to try to bring up eth0
manually - ifup.. "ifupdown start" .. etc. but I only got a message to
the effect that IRQ 11 had been disabled.
4. IOW - I am unable to access the debian mirrors and complete the
installation.

I have found a few articles reporting similar problems while researching
this via google but I haven't really found a resolution. Some suggested
upgrading the kernel.. another mentioned patching the kernel..

What rather surprises me is that the installer boots the same kernel
version and although the card is not automatically configured it only
takes minimal effort to do it manually. So it should be fairly easy to
achieve the same result when booting into the installed kernel..??

Has anyone encountered this problem connecting to a cable modem with
this particular combo card with recent kernels..? Are there boot params
that I need to specify? Is there any way I could make the " new pcmcia"
revert to the old kernel 2.4 behavior - I haven't had any  problem with
a debian sarge install w/  kernel 2.4.27 on the exact same hardware...?

Pointers.. advice.. much appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris.